Frequently Asked Questions
A2. On the Presidential or June Primary Election Day:
- Voters affiliated with a minor party: may cast a ballot for candidates of the party they are affiliated with.
- Voters affiliated with a minor party: if there is a minor party contest those affiliated with that minor party may cast a ballot for those candidates.
- Unaffiliated voters: An unaffiliated voter may cast a ballot for any one political party. If an unaffiliated voter returns a ballot with more than one major political party, the ballot will be rejected and none of the votes will be counted.
A3. Major parties are required to allow unaffiliated voters to participate in a Primary. Minor parties, on the other hand, may refuse to allow unaffiliated voters to participate in their Primary.
Q4. I am an unaffiliated voter. Do I have to choose in advance which party's Primary ballot to vote?
A4. No, but you can if you want to. You have several options:
- You may choose which party's ballot you want to get in the mail for the next Primary Election by selecting a party preference at govotecolorado.com or on any paper voter registration form.
- If you would rather receive a packet containing the ballots of all the participating major parties, you can take no action or select this option when first registering to vote.
- You can also appear in person at any Voter Service and Polling Center in Gunnison County and choose the party's ballot you want to vote.
A6. This could happen for two reasons:
- The minor party you selected is not conducting a Primary Election, or
- The minor party you selected is not allowing unaffiliated voters to participate in their election.
Q7. I selected a ballot preference last primary election and received that party's ballot. Why didn't I receive that party's ballot?
Q8. Does voting in a party's Primary as an unaffiliated voter mean that I am joining that party?
will be a public record (but not how you voted).
Q9. I am an unaffiliated voter. Why did I get two ballots sent to me during the Primary?
Most unaffiliated voters will receive the ballots of both major political parties during a Primary Election. This allows an
unaffiliated voter to choose which party's primary they will vote in. Unaffiliated voters may only return one party's ballot.
Returning two voted ballots will result in neither ballot counting.
Q10. How do I vote in a minor party's Primary Election if I am unaffiliated?
You have two options:
- You may select a ballot preference for the minor party's election that you would like to vote in at www.govotecolorado.com or on any paper voter registration form, or
- You may contact the County Clerk's office or visit any Voter Service and Polling Center in Gunnison County and request that party's ballot.