Clerk & Recorder's Office
Gunnison County Clerk
The Clerk and Recorder's Office is responsible for:
- Recording of real estate transactions
- Marriage Licenses
- Voter Registration
- Clerk to the Board of County Commissioners
- Sales Tax Information
- Title and Registration of vehicles
- Processing of Liquor Licenses
Stella Dominguez has been serving as the Gunnison County Clerk & Recorder since 2002. She will be up for reelection in 2011.
Request a Mail-In Ballot:
- Colorado Mail-In Ballot Application - English
- Solicitud de balota de votar en ausencia - Spanish
- Property Owners Ballot Request for Carbondale Rural Fire Protection District - English
- Property Owners Ballot Request for Ragged Mountain Fire Protection District - English
Register to Vote:
- Colorado Combination Voter Registration and Mail-In Ballot Application - English
- Formulario de solicitud de inscripci de votante - Spanish
- Changes in Voter Registration Information Within a County - English
Verify Voter Registration: You may now verify your voter registration information online via the Colorado Secretary of State Elections Center.
Frequently Asked Questions: For answers to the most commonly asked questions, please visit the Colorado Secretary of State Elections Center.
Department of Motor Vehicles
License Plate Renewals: Renewals may now be completed on the internet. Visit www.colorado.gov/revenue/dmv for more information.
Registration Requirements (CRS 42-3-103, 42-6-104 & 42-1-102(81)): All motor vehicles and trailers owned and operated by a Colorado resident must be registered. A named owner's secure and verifiable identification information is required to be presented for all new registration transactions.
Colorado residency is established when ONE of the following criteria is met:
- Own or operate a business in Colorado;
- Reside in Colorado continuously for 90 days; or
- Obtain employment in Colorado Department of Revenue.
CRS 42-3-103(4)(a) Motor vehicle registration MUST be completed within 90 days after becoming a resident of Colorado.
Motor vehicle registrations MUST be completed within 60 days after purchase of the vehicle to avoid late fees of $25/month.
Vehicle must be physically located in Colorado to register vehicle. A Colorado address is mandatory as the legal address. A Post Office box is not acceptable as a legal address, but may be used for the mailing address.
A Colorado based business, with branch offices in other states, may NOT title and register the business vehicle in Colorado unless the vehicles are physically located in this state.
A Letter of Authorization or a Corporate Resolution to Borrow/Grant Collateral Letter granting permission for the agent to act on behalf of the company is required to complete a new registration transaction.
All applications for vehicle registrations MUST be made in the County Motor Vehicle Office in the county of residence. Criteria used to establish residency in the county is (CRS 42-6-139):
- Primary place of residence, used when registering a personal vehicle, utilizes the same laws and regulations that apply to voter registration.
- Business address, used when registering a business vehicle that is in the business name and where the vehicle is primarily operated and maintained.
- When the place of residence or business address does not apply, the address where the vehicle is primarily domiciled and maintained may be used.
- Proof of Insurance.
- DR 2170: Trustees Statement for Certificate of Title (Rev. 2/25/2008)
When titling a vehicle in the name of a trust in Colorado, this form must be completed by the trustee(s) and submitted with the title documents.
- DR 2175: Power of Attorney for a Motor Vehicle Only (Rev. 4/03/2007)
Used to appoint an individual or entity to act as your attorney-in-fact to apply for an original or duplicate certificate of title, transfer title, or record a lien.
- DR 2219: Persons with Disabilities Parking Privileges Application (Rev. 6/29/2011)
- DR 2303: Non-Use of Vehicle or Out of State Insurance Affidavit (Rev. 7/22/2010)
- DR 2394: Bond Statement Guide/Combined Form (Bond Statement Guide, Older Vehicle in Lieu of Bond, Statement of Fact.)(Rev. 5/18/2009)
The Bond Statement Guide is used in the "Title or Salvage Title Established by Surety Bond" process. It is a detailed statement from the applicant outlining the reason for bonding to establish title. The Older Vehicle in Lieu of Bond is used in the Title or Salvage Title Established by Surety Bond when the vehicle is over 25 years of age, Bill of Sale must be less than 45 days old. The Statement of Fact is used to provide additional information. A perjury statement is included.
- DR 2395: Verification of Vehicle Identification Number/Title Application (Verification of Vehicle Identification Number, Colorado Dealers Statement, Title Application)(Rev. 2/22/2011)
The Verification of Vehicle Identification Number is used whenever an out of state title or MSO is surrendered to Colorado. This form is also used to make corrections to the Vin, year, make, body style or fuel. The Colorado Dealers Statement is required from the first Colorado dealer to transfer ownership on an out of state title or MSO. The Title Application is used when applying for title to a vehicle to provide information on the vehicle, the owner, and the lienholder, if any.
- DR 2539A: Duplicate Title Request and Receipt (Rev. 3/2/2010)
Used to obtain a duplicate title from the Colorado Motor Vehicle Division. Please submit the form along with payment.
- DR 2698: Verification of Vehicle Identification Number (Rev. 11/4/2010)
- DR 2712: Affidavit for Collection of personal Property Pursuant to Small Estate Proceeding (Rev. 7/20/2007)
Used to appoint a successor in the event of a person’s death, to transfer a motor vehicle, when the property owned by the decedent does not exceed fifty thousand dollars.
- DR 2810: Personalized License Plate Application (Rev. 11/19/2010)
Used to apply for personalized group special, alumni, street rod, amateur and commercial call letter license plates.
- DR 2842: Supplemental Secure and Verifiable Information and Attestation Clause (Rev. 1/26/2011)
This form is used to obtain required secure and verifiable identification information from the purchaser of a vehicle for the purpose of obtaining a title and registration. This form is attached to the other required title or registration documents when applying for a title or registration.
|Clerk & Recorder
970-349-1477 (Crested Butte)
Department of Motor Vehicles (Gunnison Office): Monday - Friday, except for holidays, from 8:00 am until 4:30 pm.
Department of Motor Vehicles (Crested Butte Office): Tuesday and Thursday from 9:00 am until 3:00 pm.
Driver's License Office: Tuesday and Thursday from 9:00 am until 4:00 pm.
Recording: Monday - Friday, except holidays, from 8:00 am until 5:00 pm (cut-off for Recording is 4:00 pm).
Elections: Monday - Friday, except holidays, from 8:00 am until 5:00 pm.
|Clerk & Recorder's Office
221 N. Wisconsin
Gunnison, CO 81230
|Phone: (970) 641-1516
(Voicemail is available 24 hours per day)
Fax (Clerk): (970) 641-7956
Fax (Elections): (970) 642-4675