Retired Officer


If you are a retired law enforcement officer, you may be eligible for a Retired Law Enforcement Officer Concealed Handgun Permit. The following is a list of requirements:

  • Be retired, in good standing, from service with a public agency as a law enforcement officer, other than for reasons of mental instability
  • Before such retirement, were authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of, any person for any violation of law, and had statutory powers of arrest
  • Before such retirement, was regularly employed as a law enforcement officer for an aggregate of 15 years or more; or retired from service with such agency, after completing any applicable probationary period of such service, due to a service-connected disability, as determined by such agency
  • Have a non-forfeitable right to benefits under the retirement plan of the agency
  • Are not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance
  • Are not prohibited by federal law from receiving a firearm
  • You must have an ID card, issued by the agency you retired from, with your picture on it, specifying that you are retired


You must qualify once a year with the agency you retired from, under the same criteria required when you were in active service. Or, if you are not living in the same location as the agency you retired from, and you would like the Gunnison County Sheriff's Office to issue your Retired Law Enforcement Concealed Handgun Permit, you must schedule an appointment for a qualification shoot with the Gunnison County Sheriff's Office.

You will be tested based on the Colorado Peace Officer Standards Training (POST) Academy's Rule 27: Qualification Course for Retired Law Enforcement. There is a nominal fee involved. You can contact the Gunnison County Sheriff's Office at 970-641-1113 to schedule this shoot and for more information.

Obtaining an Application

You may obtain a Retired Peace Officer Concealed Handgun Permit Application by:

  • Downloading and printing out our retired officer application (PDF).
  • Picking up an application at:
    Gunnison County Sheriff's Office
    510 Bidwell Avenue
    Gunnison, CO 81230
  • Calling 970-641-1113 and requesting an application be sent to you.