Records, Reports & Background Checks

Requesting Copies of Law Enforcement Reports

All copies of reports/incidents for the Gunnison County Sheriff's Office may be obtained by going through the Gunnison County Attorney's Office. The release of all law enforcement paperwork is regulated by law, so certain reports and/or attachments may not be released to the public. Request a copy of a report/incident.

Criminal Histories

Through the Gunnison County Sheriff's Office you may obtain a Local Records Check. These records will not include contacts that were handled by any outside agency (i.e. Gunnison Police Department, Colorado State Patrol, Mt. Crested Butte Police Department, Crested Butte Marshal's office, etc) and will not include contact records from other counties or other states. Juvenile arrest records are regulated by law and may not be released. . You will need to come into the Sheriff's Office to obtain this. To get a statewide criminal history, contact the Colorado Bureau of Investigation at 303-239-4680 or you can use their online records check.

Driving Records

The Gunnison County Sheriff's Office does not give out any driving records. Individuals may obtain driving records from the Colorado Motor Vehicle Department at 221 North Wisconsin Street, Gunnison, CO 81230. Requests must include the full name, date of birth, and driver license number. The fee for a non-certified driving record is $2.20. A driving record can also be obtained from the Denver Department of Motor Vehicles.


If you currently have an open case with the Gunnison County Sheriff's Office or you would like to report something new, you may download and fill out a voluntary statement by clicking on either one of the links below. After completing the statement, please drop it off to the Gunnison County Sheriff's Office. Please remember if the incident happened within the city limits of Gunnison, you will need to report it with the Gunnison Police Department (970) 641-8000.

Voluntary Statement (English) (PDF)

Voluntary Statement (Spanish) (PDF)