License Plates

Important info starting January 1, 2022

As of Jan. 1, 2022, CO law (SB21-069) states Type-C vehicle owners (passenger cars, non-commercial light trucks and motorcycles) may not transfer license plates from one vehicle to another, or keep their current license plate sequence on newly purchased vehicles without paying an additional fee.

For more information, call 303-205-5608 or email Full text of the new law is available at:

You'll apply for license plates by registering your vehicle with the Gunnison County Motor Vehicle office. Renew your tags by renewing your vehicle registration. You can transfer credit from existing Colorado Plates to a vehicle you buy if your name is on both registrations. 

You will need to get replacement license plates if your plates are lost, stolen, or damaged.

Types of Colorado License Plates

Most vehicles in Colorado must have license plates, including:

  • Passenger vehicles and trucks
  • Motorcycles
  • Trailers
  • Boat Trailers (Boats are registered with the Colorado Division of Wildlife or the Park Service)
  • Motor homes

Your plates must also have registration validation tabs, which you'll get when you register your vehicle and renew your registration.

NOTE: Depending on the type of vehicle you have, you may require plates both on the front and rear OR just the rear.

Special Plates

The Colorado Department of Revenue issues standard license plates as well as several types of specialty plates, including:

  • Personalized plates
  • Organizational plates
  • Military honor plates
  • Alumni Plates

For more information on other types of plates, please visit the Colorado Department of Revenue's website.

The Colorado Department of Revenue also issues license plates and placards for disabled parking. Find out if you're eligible by reading our Persons with Disabilities page.

Temporary Tags or Permit

If you purchase a vehicle from a licensed dealer, they can issue you temporary tags so that you can drive until you get your CO license plates.

The tag can be extended if your plate is delayed.

During a private sale, you can possibly get a temporary permit, depending on the circumstances of the sale.

You will need:

  • The title certificate or a bill of sale (DOC).
  • Any other documents the seller gave you, such as an odometer disclosure.
  • Proof of your car insurance.
  • A form of identification, such as your CO driver's license or and legal U.S Identification.
  • Payment.

Contact the Gunnison County Motor Vehicle Office at 970-641-1602 for more information.

Note: This information is county specific. If you have any questions please check with your appropriate county.