Insurance Requirements

Colorado Law requires that if you drive a vehicle on public roads, it must be insured. Insurance companies are required to be licensed or authorized to sell insurance in Colorado.

CRS 42-7-604, requires the State of Colorado to contract with a provider to develop and maintain a database of insured vehicles. Any insurance company that writes vehicle liability policies in Colorado is required to report new policyholders and canceled policies at least monthly to the provider.

CRS 42-3-105 (1) (d) (I). This law, effective July 1999, states that County Clerk & Recorder office shall not register a motor vehicle unless the applicant has a complying motor vehicle insurance policy pursuant to part 6 of article 4 of title 10, CRS or a certificate of self-insurance in full force.

Documents which may be used for proof of insurance are:

  •  Current insurance card
  •  Copy of policy
  •  Letter on insurance company letterhead
  •  Faxed copy of the insurance card, binder or policy
  •  E-mail sent from insurer
  •  Any of the above visible on your smartphone in the office at the time of registration

Types of insurance policies that are acceptable are:

  •  Vehicle specific insurance that would list the year, make, VIN and indicated coverage dates
  •   Commerical or Fleet insurance which covers all vehicle and drivers, listing the commercial entity and coverage dates
  •   Self insurance for the owner of 25 or more vehicles that is issued by the state commissioner
  •  Blanket or Operator insurance which covers a driver of any vehicle they operate
  •  Broad form insurance or Owner insurance that covers all vehicles owned by a person or business

Minimum coverage required for compliance are:

  • $25,000 legal liability for bodily injury or death to any one person in any one accident.
  • $50,000 legal liability for bodily injury or death to all persons in any one accident.
  • $ 15,000 property damage.

Colorado residents with a vehicle which is not operational, or is not in use for an extended period of time, should complete form DR 2303 (PDF), Non-Use of Vehicle, and submit it with the registration request. The "non-use" status would remain in effect for one renewal cycle or upon re-insuring the vehicle.

Visit the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies for further information regarding automobile insurance requirements, additional coverage, recent news, and other helpful insurance topics.