Health and Human Services offers two parenting classes throughout the year. Love & Logic and The Nurturing Parenting Program. For more information see the tabbed options below.
Love & Logic Classes
Love and Logic is a research-driven, whole-child philosophy founded in 1997 by Jim Fay and Foster W. Cline, M.D. It is the approach of choice among leading educators, parents, and other professionals worldwide.
The Love and Logic Institute is dedicated to making parenting and teaching fun and rewarding instead of stressful and chaotic. We provide the practical tools and techniques that help adults achieve respectful and healthy relationships with their children. All of our work is based on a psychologically sound parenting and teaching philosophy called Love and Logic.
This practical and straightforward philosophy is backed with over 40 years of experience. Parents can apply it immediately to a wide range of situations instead of struggling with difficult counseling procedures.
Students of this class will learn the following techniques:
- Putting an end to arguing, back-talk, and begging
- Teaching responsibility without losing their love
- Setting limits without waging war
- Avoiding power struggles
- Guiding kids to own and solve their problems
- Teaching kids to complete chores without reminder or payment
- And many more techniques
Your instructors are Marilyn Cheever and Lori Boscaro. We service Gunnison and Hinsdale counties and have been teaching Love and Logic for 10 years. The price of this class is $40.00 per family.
For additional information please call one of the below numbers.
- (970) 641-7974 -or- (970) 901-9192
- On Wednesdays starting September 4th to October 9th at Crested Butte Community School (818 Red Lady Lane) from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm
- On Tuesdays starting October 29th to December 10th at Lake School in Gunnison (800 N Boulevard St) from 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm (NO CLASS NOVEMBER 26TH)
The Nurturing Parenting Program is an evidenced-based and family-centered parenting class focused on nurturing skill development and creating healthy child-rearing practices. It provides parents with age appropriate and effective tools for positive behavior management.
The class occurs on Tuesday night for a nine (9) week period every Spring and Fall. Each family can also have up to three (3) home visits with one of our Parent Facilitators with the parents and children meeting in separate spaces. The class is a group based setting with four (4) to ten (10) parents with children in the age range of 0 to 11 years.Each class session will provide dinner for parents and children as well as child care during the class duration. Click on the NPP Brochure (PDF) link to view more information.
- Child and brain development
- Parent-child bonding and attachment
- Helping children manage their behavior
- Understanding discipline
- Helping children manage their feelings
- Appropriate expectations of children
- Problem solving skills for parents and chidlren
Class Cost & Contact Information
Classes cost $25.00 for the entire nine (9) week course and scholarships are available.
To get more information or sign-up for a class please call (970) 641-4667 or Email Deanna for more information.