Building Contractor Licensing
The Gunnison County Board of County Commissioners (BoCC) adopted a Building Contractor licensing program January 18th, 2022. The BoCC approved the program with Resolution 2022-02, recorded at reception number 682504. BOCC Resolution 2022-02 Builder Contractor Licensing. The resolution contains the Gunnison County, CO. license requirements including contractor licensing fees for building contractors.
- Anyone performing work as a Building Contractor in Gunnison County is required to obtain a Building Contractor License for any building permits issued after February 1st, 2023. The testing will be conducted through the ICC. (ICC)- International Code Council Web Link
Click: Professional Development
- Exam Catalog
- Catalog Search- Type=contractor/trade Category=building
- Search Look for G11, G12 or G13
- Click here to register-Pearson Vue
- Click on Contractors Trades-exams that do not require pre-authorization (look for same code above under find exam
- Set up account and register
County Contractor Exam
To register for the next County Contractor Exam (Residential and/or Commercial), please sign up here.
County Contractor License Application
To apply for your contractor license, please click here.
Application Requirements Include
- No person shall perform work as a Building Contractor for which a Building Permit is required under the County Building Code without first having obtained the required Building Contractor licenses.
- Gunnison County shall not issue to any person any Building Permit until the required Building Contractor Licenses has been issued to the person undertaking the work; Exceptions shall be made for those persons exempt, as listed in Section 2 of the regulations.
- The Department shall provide, and applicant shall, at a minimum, include the following:
- Applicant name and contact information;
- Type of license being applied for;
- Verification that the applicant holds the required certification from the International Code Council for the class of Building Contractor License being applied for;
- Proof of current insurance coverage, including:
- Worker's Compensation Insurance as required by the State of Colorado;
- General Liability insurance with a minimum combined single limit for each occurrence of one million and 00/100 dollars ($1,000,000.00)
- A Building Contractor License shall be issued no more than seven (7) business days after a complete application, including all required attachments, have been submitted to the Department. Failure by the County to meet this deadline shall otherwise comply with the provision of C.R.S. s 30-11-125(4).
- A Building Contractor License shall be effective for thirty-six (36) months after the date of issuance.
- License Building Contractors shall apply for a new license within three (3) months prior to the expiration of their existing license.
A Building Contractor is any person who for compensation directs, supervises, or undertakes any work for which a Building Permit is required under the County Building Code. The following are exempt from this definition:
- A property owner who acts as the contractor for the construction of a new residential dwelling on their own property but not more than once within any four-year period or any property owner who constructs additions or alterations to their own residential dwelling or accessory structure located on their own property.
- A laborer working under the supervision or direction of a Building Contractor.
- A person performing repair or maintenance work on a property owned by that person.
- An employee that regularly performs repair or maintenance work on their employer's property.
- A person required to be licensed by the State of Colorado who is performing work within the scope of their licenses, such as Electricians and Plumbers.