Building Contractor Licensing
The Gunnison County Board of County Commissioners (BoCC) adopted a Building Contractor licensing program January 18th, 2022. The BoCC approved the program with Resolution 2022-02, recorded at reception number 682504. BOCC Resolution 2022-02 Builder Contractor Licensing. The resolution contains the Gunnison County, CO. license requirements including contractor licensing fees for building contractors.
- Anyone performing work as a Building Contractor in Gunnison County is required to obtain a Building Contractor License for any building permits issued after February 1st, 2023. The testing will be conducted through the ICC. (ICC)- International Code Council Web Link
Click: Professional Development
- Exam Catalog
- Catalog Search- Type = contractor/trade Category=building
- Search Look for G11, G12 or G13
- Click here to register-Pearson Vue
- Click on Contractors Trades-exams that do not require pre-authorization (look for same code above under find exam
- Set up account and register
County Contractor Exam
To register for the next County Contractor Exam (Residential and/or Commercial), please sign up here.
County Contractor License Application
To apply for your contractor license, please click here.
List of Licensed Contractors
Click on the link for an up to date list of Gunnison County Licensed Contractors.
Application Requirements Include
- No person shall perform work as a Building Contractor for which a Building Permit is required under the County Building Code without first having obtained the required Building Contractor licenses.
- Gunnison County shall not issue to any person any Building Permit until the required Building Contractor Licenses has been issued to the person undertaking the work; Exceptions shall be made for those persons exempt, as listed in Section 2 of the regulations.
- The Department shall provide, and applicant shall, at a minimum, include the following:
- Applicant name and contact information;
- Type of license being applied for;
- Verification that the applicant holds the required certification from the International Code Council for the class of Building Contractor License being applied for;
- Proof of current insurance coverage, including:
- Worker's Compensation Insurance as required by the State of Colorado;
- General Liability insurance with a minimum combined single limit for each occurrence of one million and 00/100 dollars ($1,000,000.00)
- A Building Contractor License shall be issued no more than seven (7) business days after a complete application, including all required attachments, have been submitted to the Department. Failure by the County to meet this deadline shall otherwise comply with the provision of C.R.S. s 30-11-125(4).
- A Building Contractor License shall be effective for thirty-six (36) months after the date of issuance.
- License Building Contractors shall apply for a new license within three (3) months prior to the expiration of their existing license.
A Building Contractor is any person who for compensation directs, supervises, or undertakes any work for which a Building Permit is required under the County Building Code. The following are exempt from this definition:
- A property owner who acts as the contractor for the construction of a new residential dwelling on their own property but not more than once within any four-year period or any property owner who constructs additions or alterations to their own residential dwelling or accessory structure located on their own property.
- A laborer working under the supervision or direction of a Building Contractor.
- A person performing repair or maintenance work on a property owned by that person.
- An employee that regularly performs repair or maintenance work on their employer's property.
- A person required to be licensed by the State of Colorado who is performing work within the scope of their licenses, such as Electricians and Plumbers.